Alef Bet Quest with Turn Page Access AND New Mobile App
Safeguard your curricular plans and keep Hebrew learning goals in sight no matter what combination of scenarios awaits this coming school year.
The multimedia package for Alef Bet Quest will help ensure continuity in your beginning Hebrew program whether you meet in person, by video conference, in online tutorial sessions, or in some combination.
What You Get:
- A physical copy of Alef Bet Quest
- Access to use the enhanced online turn page version with one student through July, 2021.
- A set of tips specifically for teaching with Alef Bet Quest in distance learning settings
- Selected printable pdf pages for use in remote learning
- A license for the new Alef Bet Quest Mobile App that provides one student code to access the app they download from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
Have students use the book for regular practice, independent work, chevruta study, and as a portfolio of completed work whether they are meeting in person or remotely. Use the turn page access in a share-your-screen mode with learners in groups or one-on-one online. Provide remote learners the selected pdf pages to print in situations or locations where the booklet is not available to the student. Check the downloadable teaching tips pdf for ideas and further guidance.
Access to Alef Bet Quest turn page materials is purchased and granted per student to keep your costs as low as possible.
To get the full benefit of Alef Bet Quest you will also need the annotated Teacher's Edition (one per teacher; see the links below.)
A few techie things you need to know:
- You must be logged in to purchase and access the turn page materials.
- Please note: Accounts on behrmanhouse.com are accessed using the email address used to set up the account.
- The book(s) will be shipped.*
- Turn page access is from a link that will be available from the account that made the purchase. Log in and go to Account/My Downloadables.
- Purchases charged to school accounts will be available after processing, which typically takes one business day. Purchases made using credit cards become available immediately.
- Turn page access may be shared at no additional charge with the teachers working directly with the student(s) for whom access has been purchased. Access may also be shared easily with any student for whom it was purchased should they wish to use the turn page features at home with their families.
- You WILL need to purchase a license for the mobile app for those teachers who need it. It can be purchased separately, see the links below.
- Problems with your order or access? You can contact us for technical support here.
- Questions about curriculum? Email customersupport at Behrmanhouse.com
Ideas for Using Turn-Page Edition Primers:
Alef Bet Quest has sent nearly 40,000 young Hebrew learners on a guided adventure through Israel as it helped them learn to decode with confidence and fluency.
Using effective methodology from Hebrew language specialist Dina Maiben, letters and vowels are learned from key Jewish cultural words (matzah, havdalah, Yisrael, shofar, Moshe) as well as everyday Hebrew words (abba, ima, sabba, savta, mishpahah, shalom).
Extensive practice for each new letter and vowel is included as they are introduced, reinforcing leanring every step of the way.
- Introduces same-sound letters together.
- Keeps similar looking letters (like yud, vav, and final nun) and simliar sounding letters (like samech and zayin, or samech and tzadee) apart to help learners avoid confusion.
- Provides practice for single vowels with many different consonants Divides words into component syllables in early chapters, then recombines them into whole words later on.
- Teachers REAL Hebrew words, with an emphasis on those found in the siddur to support later prayer learning.
- Uses block print writing to reinforce sound-symbol associations, visual discrimination, and directionality.
- Develops fluency through extensive reading practice, supported by a digital app (recently revised for all mobile access, and available separately) that allows learners to hear the sounds of the letters and words as they practice, and offers games for further reinforcement.
A matched workbook for script writing, and a Companion Reader that adds even more modern Hebrew vocabulary and practices decoding skills, let you tailor Alef Bet Quest to the needs of your learners.
How to get the app for your school:
Purchase licenses for the app (one per user) from behrmanhouse.com. One license is included with each purchase of Alef Bet Quest with Turn Page Access AND New Mobile App. Make sure you're signed into your school account. If you don't have an account, you can create one here
Download the app from the Apple App Store or the Google Play Store
To give learners access to the app, the administrator (person with access to the school account login) should:
- Open the app on your device
- Select “I don't have a code” from the bottom of the screen
- Log in with the same account email and password used to purchase the app
- Enter a class name and select “Create Class”
- Distribute the student and teacher classroom codes to everyone in the class.
To use the app, learners and teachers should:
- Download the app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- Open the app and select “New User”
- Enter classroom code you got from your school
- Follow the on-screen directions to complete the sign-up procedure
What exactly am I purchasing?
You are purchasing a package that includes a physical copy of the book PLUS access to an enhanced digital turn-page version of the book, with permission to share it with one student in a remote learning setting.
Your access to the turn-page version runs through July 2022. The turn-page version is an exact duplicate of the physical book, including the same page numbering. We’ve enhanced it by also including teaching tips unique to the material and selected printable PDF pages for students’ use.
Do I need to purchase a turn-page package for each student?
Yes. Turn-page access is not a replacement for a physical book. It is a tool to help teachers in remote learning environments. Students need their materials whether they’re learning remotely or in-person.
Do I need to purchase a turn-page package for each teacher?
No. Access to the turn-page version is provided based on the number of students you wish to use it with. For example, if you have 10 students in a class, you would purchase 10 turn-page sets (you will get 10 physical books + permission to use the turnpage version with 10 students). The turn-page access can then be shared with any teacher(s) or madrichim working directly with those 10 students, at no additional charge.
If the teacher is sharing their screen to show the turn-page version, why do I need to purchase multiple copies?
You are not purchasing multiple copies of the turn page version. You are paying for permission to use the turn-page version with a certain number of students. In other words, purchases are made according to the number of people who are viewing the turn-page version, not how many are showing it.
Can I purchase access to the turn-page version separately from the physical book?
No. Access to the turn-page version is combined with a physical book. Turn-page access is not a replacement for a physical book. It is designed to make it simpler for teachers to work with learners remotely, guiding their learning. Even in remote learning settings, ideal learning is multi-modal. When learners have the physical materials, they have more control over their learning, can see the material in person, can more easily work with others in breakout groups, and better complete independent work away from the screen.
Having the print materials also ensures that you can maintain continuity in programming regardless of where your learners are meeting. This is especially important if you might be switching between remote and in-person learning. Having the physical book also gets children away from their screens and guides them through hands-on activities.
How do I get the physical books to my students?
The physical books will be shipped directly to the address you provide at time of your order. You then have several options for getting to students if you will be starting your program remotely:
- Make packages for each student and hold a book pickup day at your building.
- Combine delivery with social connection by having teachers personally drop off materials to students. This makes for a lovely porch or sidewalk socially distant, yet personal, interaction.
- Mail the books to students.
If you cannot get materials to students locally, talk to us about options for delivering books directly to students at their homes. Email us for more information.
After I purchase the turn-page package, how do I access the digital version?
Log in to the account on behrmanhouse.com from which you made the purchase. From the top menu, click Account. Then click My Downloadable Products from the menu on the left. Select the item you wish to use. When you click on the link, a turn page access file will download to your device. Double click that access file and your turn page book will open, ready for use. The downloaded HTML file can be shared at no additional charge with teachers working directly with the student(s) for whom access has been purchased. Just email the teachers and attach the downloaded file.
Do teachers or students need a Behrman House account to view the turn-page version?
No. The person who made the purchase can share the link directly with the teacher (see above). The link immediately opens the turn-page version, and teachers can then share their screens on video conference platforms with the students for whom access was purchased. Students are not likely to need direct access to the turn-page themselves. They will have their physical copies for independent work, chevruta work in breakout groups, etc.
Can I see a sample of the turn-page to try it out?
As with all our student materials, you are invited to order a copy at a 30% discount for review. This will allow you to try it out and test out the process for purchase, access, and use of the materials – so you can feel comfortable knowing exactly how it all works. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request your review copies.
We have books left over from last year or have already placed our order for this school year. Do we have to buy the books again to have turn-page access?
If you purchased student materials in 2020 and still have some left over, contact email@example.com and we’ll work with you make sure you have just what you need.
What do the turn-page materials look like?
Take a short tour through the Behrman House digital turn-page materials: what they look like, the supplemental teacher support materials and student printables, and overview of how to purchase and access the digital materials.