Chaverim B'Ivrit Volume 1
This modern Hebrew series for day schools teaches functional and authentic Hebrew language.
Hebrew program for your day school.
Features of Chaverim B'Ivrit:
- Full color
- Written by Mira Owen, author of HaKol Chadash and Nitzanim, with a team of Hebrew curriculum specialists
- Developed for the liberal day school environment, including selections from Jewish source texts and tefilla
- Based on the most current understanding of language acquisition in children including the need to transfer and apply learning in new contexts and situations
- Develops active language production in children
- Child-centered with special attention to beyond-the-classroom interests and needs of students
- Use of multiple genres including stories, conversations, poems, songs, albums, journals, and bulletin board notices
- Teachers guide at beginning of each level with further teacher instructions at the bottom of each page of the student materials
- Adaptable for diverse levels of learning
- Field-tested in the United States
- Age appropriate stories take into account Jewish identity development and diaspora Judaism
- Treats Hebrew as a living language
For more information on Chaverim B'Ivrit, please see our Chaverim B'Ivrit Resource Page
A URJ Press Publication
Developed for day schools, Chaverim B’Ivrit is a curriculum for teaching modern Hebrew as a second language for students in grades 2-6. Written by experts in the fields of teaching Hebrew as a second language, the curriculum is based on the most current understanding of language acquisition in children, including the need to transfer and apply learning in contexts relevant to the children’s lives and cultural backgrounds, including: family, friendship, traveling, food, and music. Each theme is presented from three perspectives: Jewish, modern Israeli culture, and general world knowledge.
- Treats Hebrew as a living language and develops active language production in children
- Uses multiple genres, including stories, conversations, poems, songs, albums, and journals
- Includes a teacher's guide at beginning of each level, with further teacher instructions at the bottom of each page of the student materials
- Promotes Jewish identity development and diaspora Judaism
Included in the Series