Let's Discover Holidays Teacher's Edition
The Jewish holidays are often how young children first experience Judaism.
Let’s Discover the Holidays presents the Jewish holidays to children in grades K–2. Each set—Let’s Discover Fall Holidays and Let’s Discover Spring Holidays—includes eight four-page folders, one for each of that season’s holidays.
Each folder includes an introduction to the meaning of the holiday, its objects, and its rituals. Simple retellings of the holiday’s stories are included with rich illustrations that will delight young readers and their grown-ups, too. A key goal is to help children discover their own connections to the holidays.
This Teacher’s Edition provides the tools you need to use Let’s Discover Holidays effectively.
• Big Ideas—the enduring understandings that drive each folder
• Materials—a list of the supplies and props needed for the activities and projects
• About the Holiday—an overview explaining the origins of the holiday and its main practices
• Creative Corner—art and other creative project ideas and instructions
• Mindfulness Moment—activities that connect students to the holidays through physical and emotional awareness
• Family Time—ways to extend learning into the home
About the Author:
Aliza Zeff is the co- author of Jewish Holidays Jewish Values. She holds an MA in education from the Bank Street College of Education.