Gamify Hebrew Practice with Hooked on Hebrew Playing Cards
Card games are time-tested sources of fun for both children and adults. They are also full of both social and academic benefits.
When used to supplement learning, card games engage both family members and fellow students in the learning process, making for a collaborative experience. Card games such as Go Fish, Memory, War, Bingo, Gin Rummy, Crazy 8s embrace increasing levels of difficulty so children can be challenged to learn and improve as they go on.
Hooked on Hebrew is a new series of card games for practicing Hebrew letters and prayers - whether in school or remote, or at home. Use them in one-to-one settings, small groups, or in teams.
This approach is built on the notion that the more fun you're having, the more you practice, and the more you practice, the more you learn! A recent report by CASJE (Consortium for Applied Studies in Jewish Education) recommended that Hebrew teachers use games and fun activities to increase Hebrew engagement.
Hooked on Hebrew playing cards are designed for ages 8 and up, and are also well suited for intergenerational play. There are up to 15 different games that can be played with each deck. Cards are available in three different packs. Click each image to learn more or to purchase.
A single beginner deck.
This card deck is also available on Amazon.
This pack contains four different decks:
This pack contains three decks:
Ideas for using Hooked on Hebrew playing cards
- Make students (children or adults) comfortable by creating a fun learning environment based on play.
- Build trust between students and teachers by creating common goals using the quick, one-to-one assessment.
- Create purposeful and playful game-based in-school and at-home practice opportunities that students will want to repeat on their own.
- Promote emotional and social skills such as waiting one’s turn and good sportsmanship via game-play.
- Prepare students to read multisyllabic words that appear in universal prayers such as Sh’ma/V’ahavta, Aleinu and Mi Chamocha.
- Strengthen bonds among classmates as they have fun learning Hebrew together.
Hooked on Hebrew was previously published as Hebrew School Fun, and created by educators Dr. Linda Silbert, Dr. Al Silbert, Marilyn Arsham, and Ron Arsham.
Keep up with the latest information by subscribing to our newsletter and connect with us on social media!