Offsite Learning Resources
We all continue to follow the news and know this is a time of heightened awareness and concern about the health and safety of our families, students, and community.
As you and your schools heed the directives set forth by state and local officials when it comes to preventative measures to stay healthy, we are here to help you transition to remote learning experiences. Behrman House offers a variety of digital learning resources to reinforce skills and continue the learning virtually.
Using Behrman House Hebrew materials? We have some new Zoom compatible digital formats of popular courses. Find out more here.
The Behrman House Play & Learn Page has plenty of free resources for students to use. Hebrew learners of all ages can:
- -Practice their prayers from Kol Yisrael, Hineni, or from a prayer service
- - Use a Hebrew keyboard to type messages to students, teachers, family, and friends
- - Practice with Professor Gimmelstein in this Click and Read Hebrew game
- - Focus their Hebrew language studies on particular subject areas (such as clothing, the family, food, and telling time) with Ulpan Alef Interactive
- - Practice reading and recognizing modern Hebrew words with 285 downloadable word cards. Cut into flashcards or print two copies and use to play a memory game.
*Note: These resources are in Flash and for use on computers and laptops only.
Curricular Companion Materials
Many of our Hebrew learning materials have companion apps for both mobile devices and computers, which can enrich remote learning.
For Prayer Practice
Hebrew in Harmony Digital
Invites students to learn to sing and pray in Hebrew, as well as read, explore, and interpret prayer text. Each of the 22 digital prayers comes with:
- - Music and Videos - Musical hosts Eliana Light and Noah Aronson, and guests The Bible Players, help students dive into the prayer words, melodies, and meaning. Music for each prayer includes a traditional melody plus 3-4 musical interpretations of the prayer. - Videos explain the meaning of the prayer.
- - Games - 2-3 games for each prayer reinforce key concepts and vocabulary in game-style play.
- - Hebrew Reading Practice - Hear the prayer in Israeli and American voices. Includes three levels of listening, reading practice, and recording options.
Matching student journals are available and sold separately.
How to access Hebrew in Harmony Digital:
Parents or other adults who want to learn the music and practice their own Hebrew skills can do so on their own devices by purchasing it through the Apple App Store.
Educators using the app with a class or group need to purchase it through behrmanhouse.com. Once purchased, you can download the app from the Apple App store, sign in, and get started with your class. Alternately, you can play the app from our website.
For Primer Learning
Shalom Hebrew Digital is a digital primer accessible from laptops, smartphones, or tablets to learn decoding. Hebrew letters, vowels, and keywords are introduced with animation and reinforced with audible practice readings, interactive exercises, and games.
Each of the 24 lessons in this app builds on a foundation of key cultural words, such as mitzvah and shamash, and introduces related letters, vowels, syllables and words, with plenty of practice opportunities. Students learn Hebrew aurally and visually at the same time, hearing the sounds of letters, vowels and syllables. Learners can also record themselves reading and play back the recording, and compare their pronounciation to both Israeli and American voices.
A companion to Shalom Uvrachah or Shalom Hebrew, and also suitable for use as a stand-alone digital primer.
For Day School Hebrew
Chaverim B'Ivrit Digital is the digital companion to Chaverim B’Ivrit, the day school Hebrew language series. Usable on all devices, and designed to reinforce vocabulary and concepts in volumes 1-8.
Use it FREE for the 2019-2020 school year.
To purchase the app, visit us at BehrmanHouse.com and search for Chaverim B'Ivrit. You can also find the program on our website in the Apps section. Once purchased, you can download the app from the Apple App store or from Google Play, sign in, and get started. Alternately, you can visit our website.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.